Monday, July 21, 2014

Flashback - Training Camp 2013

Here is a story I did last year, after my first visit to Training Camp!  Great experience!


It is common for fans to be crazy about their respected football teams, but it is rare to see a NFL team embrace their fans as the Redskins have with the new Bon Secours Redskins Training Camp Facility.  I attended camp today and was absolutely blown away, as both a fan and a blogger, at how well prepared the team was for the amazingly large crowds of fans that poured in to feed their passion and see their Redskins in action.

On my approach to the facility, I found parking with ease, just a block away.



After a very short stroll I was at the gate....no waiting....no invasive search...and astonished to see so many fun activities, such as a Twitter picture booth, chock full of team gear.





I found it easy to navigate around the facility, despite record numbers of fans (15,000).




The concessions were affordable and plentiful with short lines.  There were great Play60 events for the kids and a Xbox tent with a great series of potential photo opportunities.




The special kids viewing area was a real treat.  Players ran straight to that section after practice...each one signing autographs and choosing kids to take on a tour or the facility (and yes, I was so jealous of those kids).  Players continued for about an hour to come out and sign for fans.  I saw items being toted around covered with autographs.

Needless to say, it exceeded expectations and will only get better!

Richmond handled the crowds, traffic and parking with ease.  The local restaurants loved the attention.

Besides just being a very cooling thing for fans, it is, perhaps, the greatest approach to team marketing I have ever witnessed.  I am sure they know that the fan base is growing...and really, it would regardless of this great training camp for fans....but they are drawing in these fans for life, helping people create memories and establish a connection with their team in a way teams just never have before.  I left today proud...proud to be a fan of the Washington Redskins....proud to be a blogger who helps promote my teams every move....and proud of Richmond, Virginia.

No comments:

Post a Comment