I have to admit, I held off writing an "excited fan" piece of the hiring of Scot McCloughan as the new General Manager of the Washington Redskins in hopes of being able to not only calm down, but to learn more about him.
Instead of throwing out player names and statistics McCloughan is connected to, I wanted to pass on the main things I took from my research:
- Calm, Cool, Collected: This guy is very methodical and does not make rash or rush decisions on personnel...which has translated into very smart decision making in his past.
- Build Through The Draft: Draft-oriented team/franchise building...it is how dynasties are built and it is what he does.
- New Approach: For the Redskins, this is be quite a change in approach since the start of the "Dan Snyder" era.
- Ask, And Ye Shall Receive: Fans called for Mr. Snyder to hire a real "football-personnel" guy to bring into the fold...and he did just that with McCloughan.
- Give A Man A Fish...Teach A Man To Fish: McCloughan is not just known for making good personnel decisions, but he is known for spreading his gift and coaching up the scouting staff and front office.
- Legacy Of Success: McCloughan is credited for much of the talent on the 49ers and the Seahawks....both recent/current powerhouses in the NFL.
- It's OK, Get Excited: Fans should be optimistic...the future (aka, 2-3 seasons) should yield results, if we and Dan Snyder can be patient.
Hail to the Redskins!