Monday, April 1, 2013

Happy 30th to Sean Taylor #RIP21

In my lifetime, since I began watching football around 13 years old, there were some players that stood out.  True legends of the game.  Barry Sanders, Joe Montana, Art Monk...the list could go on and on....but there was one that was special to me.  Funny how those things work.  Sometimes, a fan is a fan just because.  A cosmic connection of sorts....some familiar understanding of what a fan perceives as the way to play that instantly connects with the mindset of a player and his play on the field.  For me, that connection was with Sean Taylor.  Sure, there have been many hard hitting SS and FS throughout NFL history, but something was different about this guy.  Big, fast and a living, breathing, screaming sledge hammer.  I was his fan starting about a week before the draft.  At that time, I just did not sit still long enough to follow much college sports but always brushed up for draft day.  My brushing around led to me watching some video of Sean Taylor.  "Good God" I said, as I watched him just about knock guys heads off on the field....the explosiveness, natural talent...unmatched in this draft.  "Will the Redskins dare pick him?"....I thought...sure, at the time (much like know) FS/SS was a big need....but there was some character questions that had some teams leaving him alone.  The Redskins took him with the 5th overall pick of the draft.  His first year, though his talent was obvious, he did have some work to do.  Over the next three seasons he grew immensely, while maintaining his natural nose of the ball and aggressive tackling.  I remember his first Pro-Bowl.  He was the only guy playing at full speed.  His hit on Brian Moorman is still my favorite Pro-Bowl moment of all time.  He started the 2007 season with one hell of a head of steam.  Then, I think it was week 10, he hurt his knee.  Serious, but not year ending...at least, most of us thought.  I was at that game, wearing 21.  The special fan gift that day was a cheap sweatband watch...never thought I would cherish that thing.  On November 27, 2007, Sean Taylor was stolen away from us...during an effort to protect his family from thieves, he was fatally shot in the leg.  Soldier...Warrior to the end.  He was, by far, my favorite player....in ANY sport.  A true story of hope, hard work, determination and natural God given gifts at work...plucked from this world far before his prime, at only 24 years old.  As a fan...hell, as a person, I was heart broken.  I had uncles and aunts pass away that did not affect me like Sean Taylor's death did.  To this day, when I need inspiration...I wear 21.  When my wife went in for critical brain surgery, I wore 21.  When the Redskins play any important game, I wear 21.  I suppose, in a way, he is still my favorite player, though some guy name RG3 is kind of growing on me.

Sean Taylor would have been 30 years old today, April 1st, 2013...Happy Birthday Sean.  Miss you, bro.


No comments:

Post a Comment